This Slow-Cooker Italian Chicken Stew has a lot going for it: lean protein, a ton…
Instant Pot Creamy White Chicken Chili
Instant Pot Creamy White Chicken Chili is comfort in a bowl.
A savory, spiced broth is made thicker and creamier with cauliflower (without it tasting like cauliflower). Add chicken, veggies and your favorite toppings and you have one tasty, easy, healthy white chicken chili.
And made in a fraction of the time with an electric pressure cooker!
Plus it’s Paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, Whole30 and keto-friendly! And I include stove-top and slow-cooker instructions, as well as how to freeze it.
This recipe was originally posted on January 1st, 2019. I’ve updated the post and recipe on Jan. 20th, 2020.
(As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Some of the links on this page may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I’ll automatically receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.)
Instant Pot white chicken chili
I love traditional white chicken chili but I wanted to try it with a slightly thicker, creamier broth.
Voila – enter that ubiquitous of all vegetables in the Paleo world, the cauliflower.
I only add half so it doesn’t become cauliflower soup and with all the spices you can’t even taste it.
You just get a thick, creamy, somewhat spicy broth with chunks of tender chicken, bits of green chilies and cauliflower leaves somewhere between crisp and soft.
And, of course, this being Paleo this is a white chicken chili with no beans (although I’ve never liked beans in any kind of chili anyway).
And since you’re using low-carb vegetables, this is a keto white chicken chili, too.
What you need for this Instant Pot white chicken chili
- 3.5 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (about 4-5)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 medium cauliflower
- fresh garlic
- ground coriander
- black pepper
- dried oregano
- regular or smoked paprika
- fine sea salt
- chicken broth (you can use this homemade Instant Pot bone broth!)
- 2 (4 oz.) cans of green chilies, mild or hot (your preference), preferably fire-roasted
- cooking fat of your choice, like avocado oil or ghee
- An Instant Pot – I use a pretty basic 6-quart Instant Pot for this recipe and it’s the perfect size, but if you have a bigger one that would work, too.
- A stick blender (I’ve used this Cuisinart stick blender for years and love it) or a regular blender (this Breville blender is more powerful than a standard blender but not nearly as expensive as a Vitamix; I’ve been using it for years and love it)
- a cutting board
- a chef’s knife
- measuring spoons (these are my favorite because they actually fit into spice jars!)
- a measuring glass
- kitchen tongs
- a spatula
How to make Instant Pot white chicken chili
It’s pretty simple:
- Sauté onion, garlic and spices. Use a bit of broth to scrape up all the tasty brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add cauliflower florets and chicken. Cook for 10 minutes, then use a Quick Release.
- Remove the chicken and blend the veggies. I find this easiest using a stick blender right in the pot. You could also use a regular blender . There are instructions for both.
- Shred the chicken and add it to the soup along with the cauliflower leaves and green chilies.
- You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts and reduce the cook time to 7 minutes. I wouldn’t use thighs as they’d be too rich for this soup, but if you must, cook boneless, skinless thighs for 10 minutes or skin-on, bone-in thighs for 12 minutes.
- You can add cayenne with the other spices if you want it really spicy.
- You can use spicy green chilies if you want it really spicy.
- crushed plantain chips
- sliced jalapeno rings
- wedges of limes to squeeze over the top
- sliced or diced avocado
- jicama peeled and sliced into small batons
- cilantro or parsley
- poured on top of parsnip rice or mashed parsnips, sweet potato rice or cauliflower rice
- have some warm, fluffy Paleo Cornbread on the side
This easy Instant Pot white chicken chili recipe is ready for your next weeknight dinner or dinner party. But you might just want to have it all to yourself.
Other recipes you might like:
- Smoky Bacon Chili (stovetop, slow-cooker, Instant Pot)
- Sweet Potato & Cocoa Chili (stovetop, slow-cooker, Instant Pot)
- Slow-Cooker Italian Chicken Stew
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
For the chili:
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil of your choice, like avocado oil or ghee
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt, divided, plus more as necessary
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, from about 3 cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon regular or smoked paprika
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3.5 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (about 4-5)
- 2 (4) oz. cans green chiles, preferably fire-roasted
- fresh lime juice
- chopped cilantro or parsley
- sliced avocado
- peeled jicama, chopped into small, thin matchsticks
- crushed plantain chips, if you're not doing a Whole30
- Drizzle oil into the insert and press the Sauté button.
- Once the oil is hot and shimmering (you might need to pick up the insert a bit to swirl the oil around), add the onion and salt. Stir occasionally until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rip off and reserve all the cauliflower leaves that look good enough to eat (a little browning is fine but they shouldn't be too dirty or shriveled). Halve the cauliflower and set one half aside for another use. Slice out and discard the core of the remaining half and chop into small florets.
- Once the onion is soft, add the garlic and spices and stir for about 1 minute. Pour in 1 cup of broth and use a spatula to scrape up all the tasty brown bits on the bottom of the insert. Press the Keep Warm/Cancel button.
- Toss in the cauliflower florets and add the chicken directly on top. Pour in the remaining broth (the chicken will not be fully submerged).
- Secure the lid, making sure it's sealed, and press the Manual button. Set to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, rinse and thinly slice the cauliflower leaves crosswise.
- As soon as the time is done, press the Keep Warm/Cancel button and release the pressure. Once it's finished de-pressurizing, remove the lid and use tongs to transfer the chicken to a bowl.
- Add 1 tsp. salt and puree the vegetables and broth in the insert with a stick blender. I blend it until it's totally smooth but you can also quickly blend it so it's still a little chunky. Taste to see if it has enough salt. Add the sliced cauliflower leaves and both cans of green chiles to the broth.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and tear the meat away from the bone. Add the meat to the broth, ripping it into small, bite-sized pieces. Taste one more time and adjust seasoning as necessary
- Scoop into bowls and toss on your choice of toppings.
FOR MORE RECIPES, INSPIRATION AND GENERALLY GOOD STUFF, JOIN ME ON:
To learn about my favorite ingredients to use in my recipes, click here.
The original Pinterest image:
9 thoughts on “Instant Pot Creamy White Chicken Chili”
I love white chili & thank you for making a version that is bean-free and Instant Pot friendly!!
This is one of my favorites, thanks for sharing! And . . .NEVER thought to top with plantain chips, totally doing that.
Perfect winter comfort food, IMO. Looks delicious!
Very nice recipe, thanks for sharing. Loved the cauliflower addition for a low-carb, grain-free version.
Thanks! Glad you like it.
So hearty, delicious and satisfying!
I actually LOVE white chili and I love that you used cauliflower! Looks so comforting.
I love it, too. So easy but so comforting.