This Paleo Apple Pie Smoothie is a thick, frosty treat!
Apples, yogurt and protein powder are blended with warm spices so it’s like a healthy, drinkable apple pie.
Plus it’s dairy-free, vegan and Paleo friendly.
(As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Some of the links on this page may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I’ll automatically receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.)
Paleo Apple Pie Smoothie
Even when the weather gets cooler, I still crave smoothies.
So it was only natural that I also come up with a healthy apple smoothie that tastes like apple pie!
To make it thick and creamy, this is an apple smoothie with yogurt but without milk.
Also, there’s no banana as obviously a banana doesn’t go with apple pie.
But it does have cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom for those warm, fragrant spices everyone loves.
And to make it more filling, I add protein powder but you don’t have to if you don’t want.
If your apple is very sweet, you might not want to add sweetener. But if it’s not, I add a tablespoon of maple syrup.
And it’s so easy to make – just blend everything together and drink up!
What you need for this Paleo Apple Pie Smoothie
- one medium apple, cored and chopped – go with your favorite kind (I use Fuji)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened plain yogurt – I like Harmless Harvest but use whichever kind you like (choose dairy-free/vegan/Paleo if necessary)
- 1 scoop protein powder – I use Paleo-friendly Left Coast unflavored bone broth powder; choose a dairy-free or vegan brand if necessary
- a small handful of ice cubes – don’t use too many or otherwise it gets too frothy and watery (it’s hard to give an exact amount as everyone uses different ice cube trays)
- a heaping 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla – this might seem odd in a smoothie but it really makes a difference! Something about it helps give the smoothie a ‘baked goods’ vibe
- a pinch of nutmeg
- a pinch of ground cardamom – you could also add ground ginger if you’d like
- a pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup – optional if you want a sweeter smoothie
How to make this Paleo Apple Pie Smoothie
Just add everything to the blender and blend it up!
Give it a taste to see if you want to add any more spices, more ice, etc.
Can you make a smoothie with apples?
You sure can!
Apples are great in smoothies because they add sweetness (or tartness, depending on the variety), fiber and help thicken it.
If you’re worried your blender won’t be strong enough to blend chopped apples, you can peel and grate the apple instead (use the large holes on a box grater or use the shredding disc with a food processor).
In fact, this isn’t even my first smoothie with apples in it.
I also have this Morning Glory Smoothie, made with apples, carrots and more.
Other recipes you might like:
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie (Paleo, vegan)
- Sweet Potato Pie Protein Smoothie (Paleo, vegan)
- Morning Glory Smoothie (Paleo, vegan)
- Sweet Potato Smoothie Bowl (Paleo, vegan)
Paleo Apple Pie Smoothie (vegan, dairy-free)
- 1 medium apple (use your favorite variety), cored and chopped
- ⅓ cup unsweetened plain yogurt (dairy-free, vegan or Paleo, if necessary)
- 1 scoop unflavored protein powder (dairy-free, vegan or Paleo, if necessary)
- small handful of ice cubes see notes
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
- heaping ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch cardamom
- pinch fine sea salt
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.